The 241st anniversary of the Battles of Saratoga was a wonderful late summer
day of bright skies and a bit of heat. Many individuals gathered at the DAR
Monument at Stop #2 in the Saratoga National Historical Park. Most were members
of various Chapters of the SAR, DAR and C.A.R. but some Park visitors joined
the ceremony as well.
The color guard consisted of members of the 2nd Continental Artillery Regiment
and several SAR, DAR and C.A.R. members. Once the colors were posted, a welcome
was given by Saratoga Battle Chapter SAR President Douglas Gallant followed by
Saratoga Chapter NSDAR Regent Heather Mabee. The Invocation and Pledge of Allegiance
followed. Then President Gallant provided a reading of a letter written by
General Horatio Gates on October 12, 1777, regarding the events at Saratoga. The
recipient was John Hancock who was then presiding as President of the Continental Congress.
The presentation of wreaths was performed by the following individuals:
- Peter Goebel, Vice President General NSSAR
- Duane Booth, Past President Empire State SAR
- Nicole Shiller, Saratoga Chapter NSDAR
- Susan Jackson, Regent Schenectada Chapter NSDAR
- Kristen Moore, Regent Gen. Peter Gansevoort Chapter NSDAR
- Thomas Dunne, Registrar Saratoga Battle Chapter SAR
- Jack Bredenfoerder, President Cincinnati Ohio Chapter SAR
- Bridget Lasky, President New York State C.A.R.
- Alexandra Oxaal, President Schuyler Society C.A.R.
- Tim Mabee, Vermont Society SAR
- Shaun Smith, New Hampshire Society SAR
- Jack Bredenfoerder, Germany Society SAR
The ceremony was concluded with a recitation of the the American's Creed
and Pledge to the SAR, then the Benediction and finally the retiring of the colors.
We hope to see many people attend the 242nd Anniversary event next year!
Color Guard entering
Saratoga Battle Chapter SAR President Douglas Gallant and Saratoga Chapter DAR Regent Heather Mabee welcome guests to the ceremony.
DAR Members in attendance
C.A.R. members in attendance
SAR members in attendance
The DAR monument by itself